Thursday, November 15, 2012

Vicenarians Not Allowed. Age Discrimination @ Tally-Ho Bar

Tricenarians or older!
Excessive ID requirements,
no obsolete pay phones either.












         

              


         This bar and its name date back to the 1920's. If only it was like the Green Mill and still retained the original interior, but it wouldn't be impossible for someone with money to restore it as such. It is obvious that this is an older bar, it has been grandfathered into being able to continue selling packaged liquor. In the recent past it was known as Monsen's Tally Ho.
             
             Researching the internet one cannot find any information about this phenomenon (the age restricted bar in the ghetto). Does anyone have any other information regarding this unusual age restriction or thoughts about the Tally-Ho? Three forms of ID? So that would mean a driver's license, a passport and a birth certificate and/or social security card? That's a lot to get ready for a night out. On the other hand you would have an exclusive place to hang out and something to look forward to when you are finally a tricenarian. Maybe the vicenarians will finally have a place to hangout on Howard when Ward 8 opens up! Tally Ho is located at 1951 w Howard, Chicago IL.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only had to show one ID when I went. I think the 30+ age requirement keeps some of the younger ne'er-do-wells out of the place. The owner was there the one time I went and we was a nice guy. Thanked us for coming in. His wife is one of the bartenders. She's all business.

It's not really my cup of tea, but it wasn't a bad bar either. I'm looking forward to Ward 8.

Philip McGregor Rogers said...

@Anon 5:35pm
That makes sense I think the signs are meant to intimidate and let people know that they dont want any funny business. I am looking forward to Ward 8 as well.

Go Tricenarians!!!

Chip Bagg said...

Oh my naive little friends.... How long have you lived in Chicago? How many bars have you frequented? It is nice to see there is still such innocence around me. It almost makes me blush, I being the cynic that I am.
The 30+ age restriction is a way to make damn sure that the under 21 crowd does not get in, even with a fake ID. At 19 or 20, you might pass for 21, but not for 30.
Drinkers tend to look a little older and by 30, well they look washed up. No little 20 year old looks so rough. This guy is protecting himself and his business.
The 3 ID requirement is simply a way to discriminate against ANYONE the owner doesn't want to let into the bar. Simple as that. It has been used in some cases in Chicago to make sure that the clientele on any given night doesn't become too, how shall I put this, BLACK.

Philip McGregor Rogers said...

@chip bagg,
I like your synposis on this age restriction. I will be photographing more of these signs and bars as i run across them either here in Chicago or Milwaukee.

Organic peregrine terra cotta bricolage cruelty- free locally outsourced maple nut crunch said...

I could actually deal with that, kids in their 20's can't handle their liquor in public. The girls, of course, are nice to look at, but then they open their mouth.

Unknown said...

There used to be buzzer bars...where you had to get buzzed in...or not.

But I am here to comment about an unrelated item on the Jeffo Blogo.

A buddy of mine just over the Evanston border got a letter about a public meeting there to create some kind of Evanston equivlent of a TIF district. I think it was called an Over-lap area or something like that.

Philip McGregor Rogers said...

Thanks for the info Jeff Littleton!
I know that there is the Howard/Ridge TIF area. I follow Evanston Now and will be posting a new item tomorrow on Howard.

@DUI, yes, I think having Tricenarians or older only bar would be a good niche market. Something that could work outside of the ghetto.

Philip McGregor Rogers said...

@DUI
I think you should eventually enable comments on your site. Your site is indeed VERY BIZARRE, but I like it, I indeed do not agree with EVERYTHING you say, but I like your perspective and you are hilarious. Keep it up Dangerously Unstable Individual.

I will like up your site
Busted Ass of Chicago.

Philip McGregor Rogers said...

oops link up...